Pastor of Preaching & Leadership
This full-time (40-50 hours a week) staff member serves as a pastor-elder, with the Elder Board, and carries the primary responsibilities of preaching the Word and leading the church to fulfill its vision. It also includes the administration of the ordinances, care, visitation, community engagement, and staff management. He shall model and encourage in others a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ and promote, through direct action, the growth of God’s people to become maturing, multiplying disciples of Jesus Christ. He is expected to work in concert with other Pastor and Elders to facilitate the congregation’s spiritual growth and deepen its biblical knowledge by providing leadership which promotes the development of authentic Christian community, discipleship, and accountability so that all members of the body are engaged and built up in unity and maturity in Christ.
This elder shall meet the scriptural qualifications for his office found in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9. In addition, he must have the spiritual gifts, experience, and training necessary to enable him to perform his duties. The Pastor of Preaching & Leadership must possess the qualities described below.
- is a stable, mature, and growing Christian with an exemplary personal, marital, and family life (if applicable)
- has a sound knowledge of scripture and an ability to effectively interpret and apply it with accuracy, clarity, relevance, and Gospel-centeredness in ways that lead to life transformation
- possesses strong leadership, communication, and management skills
- has a sincere love for others and a passion for reaching the lost
- has a deep concern for the care and spiritual health of the congregation
- is committed to a teamwork approach to ministry
- Must agree with the CBC statement of faith, vision, and mission statements
- Maintain a healthy personal relationship with God through prayer, Bible study, and connection with other believers
This elder’s role will be specifically focused on:
- teaching/preaching (roughly 80% of total annual preaching load)
- leading by developing, maintaining, communicating, and executing the vision and direction of the church with the elders
- sharing in pastoral care (roughly 20%) and counseling of the church
- managing the staff and overseeing select deacons and ministry leaders
- working with worship director to plan, coordinate, and execute Sunday services
- share the officiating of weddings, funerals, and baptisms with elders and pastoral staff
The Pastor of Preaching & Leadership is accountable to the Elder Board as one of the elders. He will regularly meet with other elders to annually set vision-focused goals, strategic initiatives, and/or objectives.
- Master of Divinity or equivalent from an accredited seminary is preferred
- Several years of serving a congregation in various leadership, shepherding, and preaching capacities is preferred